In addition to creating a Google My Business profile, additional business citations or listings are a key factor in Local SEO. They are also a key factor in Google My Business profile's ranking. A business citation is a mention of a business' name, address, and phone number (NAP for short). It's important that your business' NAP is consistent because consistency satisfies part of Google's and other search engines' algorithm for showing your business at the top of its local results. Types of online citations are:
- Local Business Directory Listings (example)
- Business Review Pages (example)
- Social Media Business Pages (example)
- Online interviews (example)
- Press Mentions (examples)
There are 100's if not 1000's of local business directories and business review websites. Websites like Yelp act as both a business directory and a review website. There are plenty of social media websites (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc) that display a business' NAP, also. Online interviews and press mentions business citations happen organically or by reaching out.
Local Data Aggregators - Information Pushers
These companies are responsible for pushing information to Google, Yelp, Bing, Hotfrog, Manta, Superpages, Pinterest, YP, and a whole lot more. There are only a handful of local data aggregators:
- Data Axle
- Neustar Localeze
How We Setup Business Listings
We can manually build your business listings or we can put you on Yext's Local Listing Management Service or do a combination of both.
Manually Building Business Listings
We'll create an account in each local directory, review site, and data aggregator with an email address in your website's domain name (if possible).
Benefits of Manually Building Business Listings
- Own all of your business listings
- There is a one-time fee to set them up. There's no need to pay a monthly or yearly fee to keep them up once they are set up.
- We can add your business to many more directories than what Yext manages.
- We can add your business to all data aggregators.
Disadvantages of Manually Building Business Listings
- If your business information has changed, you will have to change this information one-by-one in each of these websites that your business has a listing in.
- Some websites don't immediately approve of newly created business listings, so there may be a wait time. If there is already a business listing, we'll need to verify it by an email to an address that you manage or a phone call to your business.
Building Listings With Yext
We've been a Yext Certified Partner for years. Yext's Local Listings Management Service is a recurring service. Yext manages over 70 known directories and review websites.
Benefits of using Yext:
- You only need to add your information in their dashboard and it will be pushed out to all of the sites that they manage in seconds! There is no need to set up an account in each of the directories or review sites which saves a ton of time. Quicker listings means less time to wait until your business has better local search engine rankings.
- Yext will look for duplicate listings of your business and give you the opportunity to suppress these listings.
- Yext manages 2 out 4 of the data aggregators. This means that in addition to the directories that Yext manages, your business will be listed in more than hundred more websites.
- Yext manages some niche directories.
Disadvantages of using Yext:
- You never own your business listings (unless you manually claimed them). If you decide to cancel Yext's service, they could disappear or revert back to the way they were before Yext managed them
- Your business' duplicate listings are never removed. If you decide to cancel Yext's service, these duplicate listings will return.
Are You Ready to Make Your Business Blast Off?